A Minnesotan opinador

Writing about current and important things.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Glee-ed Advent Vespers Wanted

It has been sometime now that I have been told about that Glee show. Although I have only seen two episodes of it, I enjoyed the show's over-the-top humor. Of course, there is something to day about a show that for the "first time" tried hard to be racially, sexual-orientation, ability, and so forth diverse. At the same time it does look like that is what is trying to do, but that's besides the point.

Tonight I got to go to Advent Vespers, of course after being for a few minutes at Holidazzle before going to eat. I went with my great roommate and another friend. There we saw many fellow Augsburg, and I am sure many more Norwegian descendants who gathered for the 30th Anniversary of Advent Vespers.

Anyways, I had been to this event my first year of college, which seems a LONG time ago, but it was only the winter of 2007. And last time I had been a bit troubled by the organized religion of it all. This time I actually wanted to enjoy it, and for a couple of hours not think too much about the readings, the lyrics, etc. It was a time to go see fellow friends be part of something great of Augsburg. And it was.

But at the same time, whenever those songs with tones that made me want to stand and rock back and forth (not a music expert here by the way) and sing (which hardly ever happens if it is not Paquita la del Barrio, Lady Gaga, Shakira, before her whatever she's doing now, or Banda Limon, etc).

More importantly, I envisioned, as all the choirs did their thing, that some people would start dancing and performing as characters in Glee do. In my mind it all worked out, of course there would be no "Wheels" because the church does not have that capacity from what I could tell. I kept smiling throughout the whole service because it was so fun to imagine it! Oh, how I wish it had happened though.

Overall, though, Advent Vespers is a great event. Yeah it is part of organized religion, but that has its ups and downs as everything else. I am not as reluctant to build alliances with people who are part of congregations and with congregation of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment