A Minnesotan opinador

Writing about current and important things.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

An Intense First Day

Today I started classes. I am not taking classes at Augsburg, but an urban studies program called MUST through HECUA. The program takes in consideration three questions: why does poverty exist, why it reproduces, and what are way to alleviate poverty.

It was an intense day. First thing, we had class at a local library in St. Paul. We had lunch in a local restaurant. Everyone seems excited for the semester and I am excited for it too. We talked about personal experiences with poverty and reasons why we want to be in this program.

That was a challenging task because one is vulnerable to others, free to speak one's mind, and chances are that we might not like to share in public about oneself. It seems that this exercise will be part of the program and I hope that I become comfortable talking to this group about my life and why I am interested in civic engagement.

Tomorrow I get to go explore the Eastside in St. Paul. We will be talking about the makeup of the neighborhoods we visit under each students' perspective. More to come on this then!

After classes today (which was over 5hrs), I had my first meeting with the Citizens League, where I will be doing my internship over the semester as required by the must program. The Citizens League is a nonpartisan policy maker in the state of MN based out of St. Paul. I am really excited for this opportunity since I have been trying to get an internship with them for a year now, whose vision really invites us all to be engaged in our communities: "To create the common ground where 'We the People' can achieve the common good."

Then I came to campus and had a great time at the Campus Ministry Block Party where we shared icecream, t-shirt designing, great conversations, and I got to speak to new students about ALAS, our not-just-for-Latin@s-students organization. Again, excited for the year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment